Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Happy New Year


I wanted to have a special yet simple breakfast for New Year's morning, so I decided to try cheese danish. I had a recipe from Ina Garten's new cookbook, Barefoot Contessa At Home. My husband loves danish & I knew a homemade version should be better than what he gets from the deli bakery case. I used frozen puff pastry (cheating, I know) & made a filling from cream cheese, a little ricotta cheese, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest & a pinch of salt. They turned out wonderfully - the pastry was crisp & flaky; the filling smooth & creamy. For added flavor, I heated some strawberry rhubarb preserves in the microwave & drizzled it over top half the batch. The recipe makes 8, so we had plenty for New Year's Eve & New Year's Day.

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS