Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bittersweet Days

We're moving into a new home. I'm so excited to be moving, but at the same time am very sad to be leaving my kitchen behind. Although the new house has a wonderful kitchen, complete with a wall oven and drop-in cooktop, two things that I've always wanted, I'm still a little tearful. Maybe it's because we had to work hard to make the kitchen become what we wanted it to be. When we moved into the house, there were no built-in cabinets, only a stand-alone cupboard, an old Hoosier & an ugly metal-base sink. We made it work for a few years & then we could afford to update. Now the kitchen has beautiful creamy white cabinets complete with a correspondence desk, rich green countertops, a dishwasher, new hardwood flooring. It's absolutely beautiful. But more than the redo, I think I'll miss all the firsts that occured for me there. Even before the remodel, I cooked my first Thanksgiving turkey, following Martha Stewart's recipe for a perfect bird. I made my first perfect stuffing, using my mother-in-laws' recipe. I also had my first kitchen disaster: for our very first party a few weeks after our wedding, I put chicken wings that still had some ice crystals on them into the deep fryer, causing grease to overflow onto our just refinished floors. It's the kitchen where I made batch after batch of holiday Chex Mix after my grandma retired from it. I could go on & on but I won't. I'll take all my memories along with me & hopefully make as many great memories in our wonderful new home.

2 comments:

readtomewv said...

Like I said yesterday, I am so very happy for you. I know you will make as many, and a whole lot more wonderful memories in your new kitchen! And I know this is where you have always wanted to live, so I am sure you will be very happy!

I can't wait to see your house!

sis2non said...

I almost cried when I read your post. You are going to make so many wonderful memories in your new house while keeping the memories you made in the old one. The only difference is that I'll be so close to you that I'll be in a lot of your new ones. :)

Amy

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS