Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chai Sweet Potato Pie

I've become a big fan of Down Home with the Neelys on the Food Network. This recipe is an adapted version of their sweet potato pie. I decided to add chai instead of the usual spices & I'm so glad I did. It gives the pie a unique flavor - a bit different from the usual sweet potato or pumpkin pie. I used clean hands to mash the sweet potatoes - it allowed me to feel for any lumps or strings that I might have missed with a hand masher.

Chai Sweet Potato Pie
4 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon powdered chai mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup chai concentrate
1 unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
Bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour. When done, let cool. Peel the pulp out of the skin & place in bowl. Mash until smooth (I used my hands for this).

In a medium bowl, beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs, chai spice and salt. Add evaporated milk and chai concentrate. Stir into sweet potatoes. Beat together with mixer until smooth. Pour mixture in unbaked pie shell.

Bake on bottom rack of oven for 1 hour or until center of pie is firm. Serve warm. Add dollop of whipped cream if desired.

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS