Sunday, October 14, 2007

Pepper Steak


I decided to have pepper steak for dinner today. I wanted something quick as we had lots to do outside & it's something Mike's mom used to make for him pretty often. I had picked up a 3-meal value pack of beef at the grocery store - a 2 pound roast, a 1 1/2 pound sirloin steak & 1 pound of stew beef (a double mortgage is making me thrifty), so I had a nice piece of sirloin to put to use. If you're like me, you'll want to have a few extra peppers on hand - I like to snack as I'm chopping.

Pepper Steak
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds sirloin, cut into thin strips
2 red bell peppers, 1 green & 1 yellow, sliced into strips
1 white onion, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 can tomato puree
1/2 can water (use tomato puree can)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion & bell peppers in oil until tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Add beef, stirring frequently, until done, about 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and beef; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomato puree, water, salt and black pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS