Sunday, November 4, 2007

Eggs Benedict with Green Tomatoes


Apartment Therapy: The Kitchen is hosting a Green Tomato Contest & I wanted to join in. I absolutely love fried green tomatoes, but hadn't really used green tomatoes any other way. I knew I wanted to create a breakfast dish, but wasn't sure what. Then I remembered an episode of Giada's Weekend Getaways in which she had been served Eggs Benedict with avacado & that's where the inspiration for this dish came from. I sauteed the tomatoes in a bit of butter & EVOO with a little salt & pepper & just a small pinch of sugar. The end result was pretty tasty; I really liked the slightly sweet tartness of the tomatoes. The next time I fix this dish though, I will use over easy eggs instead of poached. No matter how many times I try them, I just do not like the texture of poached eggs.

Eggs Benedict with Green Tomatoes

1 English Muffin, split
2 slices Canadian Bacon
2 eggs
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 slices green tomato, 1/2" thick
2 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
pinch sugar
salt/pepper

Preheat oven on broiler setting. To Poach Eggs: Fill a large saucepan with 3 inches of water. Bring water to a gentle simmer, then add vinegar. Carefully break eggs into simmering water, and allow to cook for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Yolks should still be soft in center. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and set on a warm plate
While eggs are poaching, brown the bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and toast the English muffins on a baking sheet under the broiler. Remove bacon from skillet, add 1 teaspoon butter & olive oil. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt, pepper & a pinch of sugar. Let brown 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Spread toasted muffins with softened butter, and top each one with a slice of bacon, a tomato slice & one poached egg. Serve with hollandaise sauce if desired (I don't like hollandaise sauce so I didn't prepare any). Serve immediately.

5 comments:

Ellie said...

Tonia, this sounds So good! Makes me wish I had some green tomatoes in the house. (And for the record, I don't care for hollandaise sauce either!)

Ellie said...

I just went and voted for you and you are winning! And I have to say, even if I had no idea who you were I would have voted for yours because yours sounded better to me than any of the others. lol Seriously, I am going to have to buy some green tomatoes and try this stuff.

Midnight Snack said...

I love green toamtoes, but never thought of using them with eggs benedict. These look yummy!

Sarah Caron said...

That sounds delish! I love Eggs Benedict and the green tomatoes sound like a fantastic addition. Congrats on being a finalist! I voted for you.

Kelly Mahoney said...

Yum! I love green tomatoes, it's such a nice touch in that dish.

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS